Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Scooter Forums » General Chat

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Honda Ruckus riders
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:22 pm 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: 2007 camo Ruckus 49cc
61 yr old bought Honda Ruckus. Love this thing. Any riding groups in Seattle who go 30 to 35mph (50cc).. where in the heck do you ride and not get plowed under by SUV's.
Any groups of Diva riders on this bike? I have a wonderful adopted brother who raced Harley's and can fix any bike who helps me trouble shoot. Anyone need help?
Ruckabye

Post subject: Re: Honda Ruckus riders
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2009 spyder
Sue from Canada here.
I ride a big ruckus,, love it too, mostly..I would love underseat storage but oh well..
Mines a 250cc and wished it would go faster LOL

sue

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:16 pm 
Diva
Diva

big ruckus.. I can't touch the ground on those big 'uns'. Us shorties are relegated to the shrimp dish.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:21 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2009 spyder
I am 5'3 and flat foot it on bruckus.. why I got it,one ofthe only bike that fit me

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:41 pm 
Diva
Diva

when I say shrimp I mean 4'10.. I'm hardly a legal grownup. bye the way your bike is a beauty..what is that exhaust?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:37 pm 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Kymco, Vespa, Fuji Rabbit
I don't have a Ruckus (my son wise wishes I would rectify that), but try and get your hands on an old fashioned county street map. Once you start looking, there are back ways to get anywhere.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:08 am 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Why do you want to join this forum?: Meeting and encouraging women riders.
ruckabye wrote:
61 yr old bought Honda Ruckus. Love this thing. Any riding groups in Seattle who go 30 to 35mph (50cc).. where in the heck do you ride and not get plowed under by SUV's.
Any groups of Diva riders on this bike? I have a wonderful adopted brother who raced Harley's and can fix any bike who helps me trouble shoot. Anyone need help?
Ruckabye

Yep-been riding one for 4 years!

Somewhere on the Scooter Virgins thread there is one about traveling on a 49cc. I posted there about how I go just about anywhere on mine and take backroads or "ride like a bike" on the shoulder when I absolutely have to go on something 45-60mph for a short hop.

I am decked out "hi viz" too with a flag, neon yellow bicycle "slow" triangle, and hi viz vest or jacket.

I have tons of storage room on mine as you can improvise the heck out of them with bags, etc.

I want to post a pic of mine on here showing my panniers that I added this season.

Nice to see another Ruckus rider on here. Join us on www.totalruckus.com. I am "RidgeRuckster" over there.

My scooter blogs:
http://www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:39 am 
Diva
Diva

Thank you Ridge rider, the city map is a good plan. Seattle is a land of steep hills.. I ride East and then West to go North or South like a pack mule train trying to get thru the rockies and shoulder riding scares the heck outta me. I'd like to see the pics of the additions you made. Maybe you know the answer to the question 'can you park your Ruckus next to a bike rack (legally) when there's no where else?
I'm learning the do's and don'ts of an Urban rider. (grew up in Bermuda riding mopeds where anything goes)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:29 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: Suzuki Burgman 650 and Kawasaki Vulcan 750
ruckabye wrote:
...Seattle is a land of steep hills.. I ride East and then West to go North or South like a pack mule train trying to get thru the rockies...

Hi there, ruckabye! Greetings from the west...over on the Peninsula in Sequim!

If a person hasn't been in Seattle and tried to get from Point A on one hill and Point B on another, they just can't imagine the problem! And if you're trying to get from one side of one of the lakes to the other...sheesh! It's an ordeal in a cage, let alone on a little scoot!
I feel your pain! :)

and freedom has a taste and price the protected never know..."

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:02 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

ruckabye wrote:
Thank you Ridge rider, the city map is a good plan. Seattle is a land of steep hills.. I ride East and then West to go North or South like a pack mule train trying to get thru the rockies and shoulder riding scares the heck outta me. I'd like to see the pics of the additions you made. Maybe you know the answer to the question 'can you park your Ruckus next to a bike rack (legally) when there's no where else?
I'm learning the do's and don'ts of an Urban rider. (grew up in Bermuda riding mopeds where anything goes)

I came from bike touring to scooters and not from motorcycle riding and so I think of my scoot more in terms of transportation on a motorized bike, if that makes sense. So I had no problem with gearing my brain to "riding it like a bike" on certain roads.

I live in the foothills of the Appalachain mountains and that means every direction I go there is a "hill". I live up on a big one. So I am chugging 15-20mph on the side a lot of the time from point A to B. When I am on a winding mostly level 2 lane road I am in my ecstasy doing 30-40mph.

I love the Ruckus ride so much that I am willing to compromise the speed. Some day I will add a bigger scoot (Big Ruckus lust) or get my Ruckus modified to a 125cc.

My way of riding is not for everyone, but it suits me. I will try to post a pic.

My scooter blogs:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:15 am 
DIT (Diva in Training)
DIT (Diva in Training)

Scooter: 2011 Honda Ruckus
Love my ruckus! I do ride it 9 miles to and 9 miles back from home to work. It seems like the people are less likely to see you in the afternoons on the way home. I was nearly ran over by a Hummer, she kept scooting up and was about 6 inches from my back tire. You might want to look at some variators that can help the ruckus at a higher speed longer. I also sometimes stand with the Ruckus at red lights so that drivers can actually see me, wear a bright helmet and jacket so that you can be more noticeable too. You can even buy a kit to swap to the 150cc if that will make you feel more comfortable going up hills and in traffic, I am probably going this route sometime this fall.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:44 am 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Yeah, you can't be too "hi viz": "ride like you are invisible" to cars.

I see more and more motorcycle riders around here wearing neon yellow hi viz vests, jackets, and even sporting flags that are similar (or the same exact item) to those bought at a bike shop.

I bought red reflective tape too at Auto Zone and outlined my scooter on the sides for hi viz.

At 40mph or less I also have that yellow and orange reflective bicycle triangle on the rear of my basket on the back.

My scooter blogs:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:07 am 
Diva
Diva

Loved hearing from you fellee Rucksters. Had a strange intermittent issue lately.
my ruckus was flatulent on hills; on flat stretches she would suddenly accelerate even though I had a steady throttle. then she decided to leave a four way stop like she was going to think about it for a while... the guys at Battle Ruckus think it needs a belt adjustment. I'm also wondering if this is a carb issue or a gas line 'thingy'. anybody have this issue?? (remember I'm just a 50cc)
Ruckabye

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:27 pm 
DIT (Diva in Training)
DIT (Diva in Training)

I hope to get a Ruckus soon--I LOVE the look of it- I am 52 years old. I'm only 5'1" so I hope I can flat foot the Ruckus. If not, I will get the seat frame lowering kit and hope it is easy to swap out. Will also likely get a better exhaust to eke a few more MPH's out of it. Just want to ride for fun, and maybe for commuting (if it's not too scary). My husband wants me to ride a motorcycle, and I tried it, but I'm just but too wimpy for that anymore- too much to think about with the shifting. (Funny, because I drive a stick shift sports car.) Would LOVE to get one of those Can-Am Spyder's but those are way expensive. The Ruck is cool looking and I think it would be fun to ride.

Would be interested to hear from others about the Ruck, especially if you are "vertically challenged" (short) like me.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

It's more your inseam than your height that you have to measure.

Mine is 29 inches and I rode a stock Ruckus just fine.

Deb

My scooter blogs:

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Scooter Forums » General Chat