Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Scooter Forums » General Chat

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Errant golf ball knocks out motorcyclist teeth
 Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:38 am 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125
I always think of this when riding past golf courses. Full Face helmets are a good thing!

Quote:
An errant golf ball from the 14th hole on Murfreesboro’s Indian Hills Golf Course knocked a motorcyclist’s teeth out as she and her husband rode blissfully along South Church Street.-

A man teeing off at the 14th over the weekend hooked his shot, watched the ball disappear and then heard screams, according to a Murfreesboro Police Department incident report. He followed the scream to find a woman clutching her bloody mouth.

Her husband told police that they were riding their motorcycles when he saw the ball bounce across the road and near her motorcycle. There, it careened into her face. She was able to avoid wrecking her bike, but the ball knocked out “several” teeth, the report said. She was taken to Middle Tennessee Medical Center for treatment.

An officer scoured the area for the offending golf ball and found multiple potential culprits, but, alas, he wrote, “none of which had blood on them.”

Source: Fore! Errant golf ball knocks out Murfreesboro motorcyclist's teeth

Post subject: Re: Errant golf ball knocks out motorcyclist teeth
 Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: Kymco Grand Vista 250(gypsy) sold
Piaggio MP3 500 (beast)
All I can say is.... thank god for full face helmets. Cringing

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:20 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Scooter: 2007 Yamaha Vino 50 cc 'Vixen'
1984 Honda CM 450E motorcycle 'Lucy'
1985 Honda Shadow VT500C motorcycle 'Miss Scarlett'
I am so glad for my fullface helmet. I do a long leisurely ride along Beach Drive in Victoria and you drive smack through the middle of a golf course. I worry about those errant balls and make sure my visor is closed. I also make sure I am wearing my armored gear too. Could you imagine getting hit by a golfball while doing 30Km - OUCH!

@--@ my blog: Princess Scooterpie http://scootermayhem.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:59 pm 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125
I got whacked on the face shield by a acorn once and I could have sworn it was a bowling ball. I can just imaging how a golf ball would feel.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:37 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2010 Red Honda Elite 110
Yikes! Even shelled bugs hit my FF helmet shield with force. I can't imagine anything larger hitting it. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine not wearing a FF helmet!

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:27 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: Kymco People 50, Vespa GTS 250ie
:shock: ouch!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:13 am 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Why do you want to join this forum?: Meeting and encouraging women riders.
SkutaMama wrote:
Yikes! Even shelled bugs hit my FF helmet shield with force. I can't imagine anything larger hitting it. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine not wearing a FF helmet!

I don't wear one, wear a 3/4 style, but I am working up to it. I am very claustrophobic and wear glasses and the full face ones I have tried just don't work for me-too tight, very hard to take on and off, and restrict my vision.

So if anyone can solve all those probs then I'd join all of you in wearing full face.

My scooter blogs:
http://www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 am 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: 2006 Yamaha Vino 125, 1981 Honda Passport 70, 1964 Honda Cub 50
I know I'm gonna get a lot of criticism for this, but I ride helmet-less.

Pennsylvania finally lifted it's mandatory helmet law back in '04. The first time I got to ride down the road bare-headed, it was like a whole different world had opened up! It's a feeling of total freedom and happiness that just can't be experienced within the confines of a skid-lid.

I'm not recommending that anyone follow my lead, but I'm glad that I finally have the choice to decide whether or not to wear a helmet.

The funny thing is, shortly before PA gave riders the ability to make their own choice about wearing a helmet, they passed a mandatory seat belt law for cagers. Go figure... and no, I don't use the seat belt in my car, either. If I'm a passenger in somebody else's car, and the driver requests that I strap that God-forsaken, uncomfortable appliance on, then I will oblige them. I guess they want me to remain strapped in place when they rear-end a gasoline tanker and the car goes up in flames.

Now let the scolding begin - it's all okay. My mom has been warning me about all things dangerous, including motorcycles and the like, since I was in grade school. You should've heard her when I brought my first bike home. I was in 4th grade, and bought a 1964 Honda Cub 50 from the kid up the street. I think I paid $12 for it back then, and I recently tracked it down and re-bought it (for $130 - inflation!), so I still have the first bike I ever owned... and my mom still hates it, some 40-odd years later.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:13 pm 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Vespa GT200
named Bogart
[-X
Did your Mom mention that a minor accident could turn you into a vegetable?
(Well, it's against my nature but I tried.)

However...
I can't say that golf balls worry me enough to get me into my full-face.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:49 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

foamynozzle wrote:
I know I'm gonna get a lot of criticism for this, but I ride helmet-less.
I'm not recommending that anyone follow my lead, but I'm glad that I finally have the choice to decide whether or not to wear a helmet.
Now let the scolding begin - it's all okay. My mom has been warning me about all things dangerous, including motorcycles and the like, since I was in grade school.

Foamy...the problem is not always what it does to the rider, but rather what it does to the family and society as a whole. By trade I am a Speech-Language Pathologist, and I have worked with a number of "brain injured" individuals...post car accidents, motorcycle accidents, diving accidents, UNTREATED SINUS INFECTIONS (yes...never take them for granted!!), stroke, etc. Having to deal with a loved one who suffers from brain injury makes families a mess, not only for the pain it causes them, but also financially. The cost to rehabilitate a brain injured individual is staggering. If they are vegetative, the insane costs can last for years since they usually end up in nursing homes for the rest of their lives. Someone has to pay for it. The money, in part, often comes from social security, medicaid, etc....which to some extent, most of us contribute towards. Unfortunately, it is usually the family who bears the majority of the financial burden of the brain-injured person and it usually ruins them.

So, no scolding! These are just the facts. :(

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:03 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

RuckusGal wrote:
SkutaMama wrote:

I don't wear one, wear a 3/4 style, but I am working up to it. I am very claustrophobic and wear glasses and the full face ones I have tried just don't work for me-too tight, very hard to take on and off, and restrict my vision.

So if anyone can solve all those probs then I'd join all of you in wearing full face.

Rukus, I am definitely claustrophobic, too, but after seeing the "impact chart" (below), it was enough to scare me into getting one!
Attachment:
Impacts.gif
Impacts.gif [ 13.84 KiB | Viewed 847 times ]

I wear no-line bifocals and had to try a few styles before I found frames that would slide nicely onto my face after I put the helmet on and that wouldn't move up and down while riding! I took my FF helmet with me when I went eyeglass shopping. At first after getting the FF, I was keeping the shield open, then gradually closed it. Now whenever I'm riding back streets and it feels "stuffy" inside of it, I ride with it open for a while. Quite honestly, though, I usually forget that I have it on.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Kymco, Vespa, Fuji Rabbit
@RuckusGal, keep trying on full face helmets...they vary in their fit, and their peripheral vision limitations...I never thought I'd wear one either, but I found one that didn't make me feel like a puckered up goldfish, and started wearing it. The best fit with glasses, for me, however, is my modular helmet. I used to wear a 3/4, with a full face flip up visor, and in fact that is what I was wearing when I was hit by a Buick a few years back. Although I had a concussion, it did it's job and I am alive to tell about it, despite the large gouge out of the back bottom edge of the helmet. My son, who was riding with me, had a full face helmet. And when I saw the marks on his, I saw that he had been nose down. He would have had significant facial injury at a minimum, if he had only been wearing a 3/4 helmet. It's the luck of the draw. You have to do what you're comfortable with. But I can promise, you get more comfortable with practice, and a LOT more comfortable after you've hit the pavement a time or two.

@Foamy, yes, riding without a helmet is a choice, and on a hot day, I would dearly love to feel that breeze myself. But I have witnessed a motionless rider after a crash without a helmet, and I have a next door neighbor with a brain injury. I can take a look at the last two helmets I retired after losing battles with cars that turned in front of me. It's not just you, and as you get older, and have a family, you may think differently. All I can comment is just what I tell my husband, who also chafes at having to wear a seatbelt....make sure you keep up the life and medical insurance payments, make sure you understand long term care costs, and that there is $8-10K available for a funeral. Make sure we won't lose our home, make sure I know your wishes, make sure you leave something in writing for your son. If you're going to make a choice that can cause your family to suffer, and we all do just by riding, then at least seriously consider the possible consequences, and do what you can to shoulder as much of the burden as possible. There is a reason emergency responders and ER personnel routinely refer to motorcycle accident victims as incoming organ donors.

We do agree completely on the irony of a legislative body that thinks they have a duty to mandate seat belts, but not helmets.

I almost knocked some of my own teeth out one day. Before the accident with the Buick plowing into us, I was in a parking lot wearing that same 3/4 helmet with the full visor. I was leaving the parking lot, and ahead of me, a car suddenly went into reverse and started to back right out. I slammed on the brakes, and managed to lay on the horn. We both stopped without contact...but not before I slid forward and slammed my chin onto I suppose the edge of the windshield. I didn't lose any teeth or break anything that time, but it hurt like the devil.

A golf ball would probably tick me off. I am not a screamer, but I think that golfer would have heard a bike coming behind him on the green, to personally return that ball.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:02 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

SkutaMama wrote:
RuckusGal wrote:
SkutaMama wrote:

Rukus, I am definitely claustrophobic, too, but after seeing the "impact chart" (below), it was enough to scare me into getting one!
Attachment:
Impacts.gif

I wear no-line bifocals and had to try a few styles before I found frames that would slide nicely onto my face after I put the helmet on and that wouldn't move up and down while riding! I took my FF helmet with me when I went eyeglass shopping. At first after getting the FF, I was keeping the shield open, then gradually closed it. Now whenever I'm riding back streets and it feels "stuffy" inside of it, I ride with it open for a while. Quite honestly, though, I usually forget that I have it on.

I did see that chart somewhere recently and it is one of the reasons that I am going to seek out a full-face. Your suggestion re glasses is a good one. I am getting ready to get new glasses, so I will keep that in mind too.

BTW, if it weren't for my wearing a seatbelt, I would not be here now. I would have died on January 14, 1988 at 4:10 pm in Summerville, SC on I-24. 'nuff said!

My scooter blogs:

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:24 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

foameynozzel:

People want to scare you into waking up to the reality of what could happen to you because you choose to not wear a helmet or seatbelt. Please don't slough off the advice.

Here's some more thoughts to ponder:

There's worse things than death: there's paralysis. Total, partial, whatever. Spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair (or hospital bed). Brain death: having no awareness of life around you and having no potential for recovery.

Everybody thinks it will never happen to them. Then once it does (meaning an accident), often times it happens to you, through no fault of your own. That is how I almost died in 1988 in a car accident. Also on my scooter (see my blog for those stories).

Something as mundane as a bunny rabbit running out in front of me out here on these rural roads where I ride could throw me off the bike.

Skidding out on a manhole or painted lined on the road-wet or dry-something you never anticipated, could send you sliding on your face.

Gravel, acorns, walnuts, objects in the road that will whip your wheels out from under you without any means to gain control. You land on your head at even low speed and you are dead.

You knew you were going to get a lecture when you posted that you aren't wearing a helmet or seatbelt, didn't you?

I am just going to be blunt, 'cause maybe it will save your life: if you get in an accident, scooter or car, not taking those precautions, you will die. Especially on the scooter. You might get lucky and survive the car accident, but the chances are slim to none on the bike.

My scooter blogs:

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 am 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Kymco, Vespa, Fuji Rabbit
Omigosh, Summerville, SC....I have nightmares about that place. I broke down there in my Toyota Land Cruiser. I had it towed from the interstate to the Toyota dealer there in town. I had my octogenarian grandfather with me, my toddler son, and as I recall, a pet or two, and I was pulling a small trailer. We decided to wait it out a couple of days in the nearest motel, which was not in good shape and charged us a fortune despite, or because of knowing, we were stuck. At first, it was just going to be a couple of days....then maybe another two. Always just so little that we thought there was no sense in trying to go home. The Toyota service manager referred me to a pal that had a shop in his backyard, and assured me that he would do me much better on the needed transmission repair. It dragged out and dragged out with excuses, and finally I managed to get another car and went back to FL until it was done. We drove back to SC when it was supposed to be ready, paid the man a small fortune, and took off for New England. The transmission was slipping again in no time. Because I was many states away, I paid to get it fixed again. The man who did the work wouldn't return my calls. The service manager wouldn't take my calls. I eventually wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership and explained that while the service manager "may" have had good intentions, he should not be referring customers to Mr. X. I-95 was visible from his place; I look over and shake my head every time I go by there still.

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Scooter Forums » General Chat