Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Scooter Forums » Technical Advice

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Restrictor Plates
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:16 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: Yamaha Zuma
Where I live (in WI) you have to get a motorcyle license if you have an engine bigger than 50cc. I have purchased a scooter with an engine this size because I am not quite ready for anything more powerful yet. At the same time, I have been reading faster scooters can be safer when trying to avoid bad drivers in cars and SUVs. I also know many scooters come with a restrictor plate built in to keep their speed lower so the scooters are legal to sell in all states.

While I don't want my scooter to go 55mph, I would like for it to easily hit 40mph. I understand removing the restrictor plate will more easily allow for this. I have a Yamaha Zuma (at least I will have it by tonight when I go pick it up), and it's top speed (with restrictor plate) is 40mph (down hill). After my year warranty is up, I would like to remove this restrictor plate. I am wondering if anyone else has done this.

I've talked to a local/independent scooter shop and when they assemble their scooters, the shop leaves out the restrictor plate. The sales rep told me the restrictor plate also restricts air to the engine and can more easily cause air cooled engines to over-heat. This shop has a good reputation so I am inclined to believe them. I am just looking for someone else who has removed the restrictor plate. I want to make sure I won't damage my scooter.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:24 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: '09 Buddy 125
Why do you want to join this forum?: ...............
lots of people derestrict their 50cc scooters. don't worry, be happy that your dealer does it for you. :)

Post subject: Re: Restrictor Plates
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:44 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: '08 Piaggio Fly 150 - "Bella"
When I bought my Malaguti Ciak 50cc the dealer had already done the derestriction, which brought top speed up to 45 mph. It's pretty much a "must have" modification if your streets are anything like mine here in Southern California. And the mod doesn't doesn't damage the scooter at all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:25 pm 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Scooter: 2006 Vino 125
Faery
When I bought my 2003 Vino 50 it had a restriction in the exhaust pipe & it would only get up to 30 mph. After I removed the exhaust restrictor, the acceleration increased a lot & the scooter easily got to 40 mph

You will not be hurting the scooter by removing any restrictor plates. In fact, the scooters were designed to run without them. The restrictors are put in for the North American market to meet different states moped laws.
If you want more detailed info on the Yamaha Zuma--these 2 forums have some knowledgeable people--but they are mostly guys and it isn't quite the same as Scooter Diva.

http://scootertime.net/

http://www.provoscooter.com/vbull/index.php

Post subject: Thanks!
 Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:16 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Thanks everyone for your advice. In my car, riding behind my husband, I clocked my scooter's top speed at 35mph on flat road. I wonder what I will get once I get the restrictor plate removed. On another forum, I read that somebody got their 2005 Zuma to go 43mph. That would be a good speed for me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:35 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: '09 Buddy 125
Why do you want to join this forum?: ...............
you don't want to ride your scooter flat out at all times, you'll put lots of strain on the engine and cut down its life expectancy.

if you want to go that speed constantly, you should think about getting a bigger cc scooter and an mc endorsement. you also should think about going to take the mfc class. when you pass, you get your endorsement. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:15 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

I woouldn't ride at top speed all the time. I just want a little break away speed to avoid dangerous situations. Most of the roads I drive on are 25 or 35mph. My scooter hits both those speeds fairly easily unless I am going uphill. When my husband drove my scooter uphill, he could only get the speed up to 25mph.

I am tempted to get a bigger scooter in a year or two, but I really just want to practice on my 50cc first.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:27 am 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

I think it is great to start out on a smaller scooter and learn how to maneuver a motorized two wheel vehicle and get experience riding in traffic.

That's how I started-- IMO too many people seem to start out with big scooters and no prior experience. The MSF can teach you a lot and get you your license, but experience on the street is invaluable.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:24 pm 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: Buddy St. Tropez
Question: How does de-rescrticting a scooter affect the MPG?

I've been wondering about this, and, also, what do mod kits meant to up the displacement on larger scooters (take a 125 to a 150 or something) do to the MPG and engine life.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:00 pm 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Generally the higher the engine displacement, the lower the mpg. Also. the faster you ride, the lower your mpg. Same as in a car.

It is better to get the size of scooter that meets your needs--with the correct engine displacement, rather than upgrading the engine size with kits and other performance enhancements. Making a 50 cc scooter into a 70 or 100 cc will decrease the life of the scooter--just get a 125 or 150 that was built to go those speeds.

On the other hand, some small modifications such as changing roller weights or a different exhaust can give some slight increases in performance--either acceleration or top end without hurting the scooter's life.

Last edited by sooznd on Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:01 pm 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Scooter: 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, Pink
Faery wrote:
Most of the roads I drive on are 25 or 35mph. My scooter hits both those speeds fairly easily unless I am going uphill.

Yep, you don't want to be riding full throttle--you want to keep it below 35mph and also vary the speed while you are breaking it in...check your owner's manual. May only recommend riding @ 1/2 throttle 15mph until you have XXX amount of miles on it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:42 am 
DIT (Diva in Training)
DIT (Diva in Training)

Does anyone know where to find a "how to" to derestrict a scooter? (specifically a buddy 50cc?)
Is this a difficult process or can a semi-amateur take a shot at it?

Thanks!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:52 am 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Check the modern buddy forum--someone there should be able to help & they may have a download how to. There is also a yahoo group for the Buddy, too

I de-restricted my Vino 50 it was time consuming (especially since I didn't have one of the right tools), but not hard.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:17 pm 
DIT (Diva in Training)
DIT (Diva in Training)

Since deregulating my scoot, it gets better gas mileage too! About 90 miles per gallon. Talk about a money saver!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:59 pm 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125
I remember when I derestriced my Eton Beamer. It was governed at about 32 MPH which was annoying. All I had to do was cut a green wire on the CDI and the change was amazing.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Scooter Forums » Technical Advice