Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Scooter Forums » Technical Advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Back Brake Sticking
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:36 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: Lance Milan
I can't tell if it's doing much and then all of a sudden it grabs. I rode to work today going easy on the back brake -- is there anything I can do to help it work better before I ride home tonight?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:21 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Scooter: Bo - 2007 Vespa GT200 in Midnight Blue (r.i.p.)
??? - 2012 Vespa GTS 300 in Titanium
Why do you want to join this forum?: live to scoot - scoot to smile.
Hi,

Okay, from some websites I've found, apparently disc brakes are disc brakes, just like parts is parts. So, here are some quotes I've found about disc brakes sticking. (your scoot has disc brakes, right?)

Seems like it could be a caliper sticking. One site had a guy claiming that he just pounded on the caliper like the Fonz until it unstuck. Some slightly better strategies to try are quoted below.
Quote:
http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/disc-brake-tech-3437.html
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/b ... index.html

Caliper inspection points include the mounting bosses. Look for cracks, stripped threads and slide pins, and check for corrosion and galling. If one is present, inspect the dust boot on the caliper piston, and check for cracks and tears. Caliper problems often make themselves known through accelerated brake-pad deterioration. If there seems to be an inordinate amount of drag on the wheel, or if you begin to burn through pads more often than you should, chances are a caliper piston is sticking or a floating caliper is seized on its slide.

Sticky front brake on a harley Davidson Sportster?
I have a 2001 model Sportster. Where i live there is a lot of dust and humidity. probably not goood for any part of the bike. but the front brake handle has a lot of free play. I have to press it about 1 inch before i feel any resistance. i had it servicced a few months ago and the guy said that it's the Claiper that sticks and has to be opened and pressed back.
Is that true? and is it something i can do by myself? Advise please.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
I have not seen this happen to a sportster but it is a very common problem with big twin brakes.

pull the caliper and brake pads

pull the lever about 7 or 8 times to push the pistons out a little over 1/4" get a rag and wipe all the dirt around the piston off then push it back in, hold that piston in and pull the lever again to get the other piston out and clean it too.

push both pistons back in all the way. Reinstall the pads and caliper.

it should take about 20 or so pulls on the lever to get feeling back into the front brakes then go for a ride.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:40 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Thank you, Kim. I'm not sure how much of this I can do for myself but I'll investigate.

Or maybe just make an appointment at Centre Cycle Works.

:)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:33 am 
DIT (Diva in Training)
DIT (Diva in Training)

Scooter: 1965 Vespa 150 Standard
Most scoots use drums on the rear and it could be a number of things. New shoes need to have the ends rounded over to stop them from being grabby. If it has only just developed it could be that one of the shoe retaining clips has come loose and the shoe has become cock-eyed. If by chance you have discs, it could be a hard piece of metal in the pad, as pads have metal in them and sometimes it can become concentrated in one area (production error). If it has started out of the blue, you should get it looked at ASAP as locking rears can be a handful and very dangerous. I had my front locking up at one stage, now that was scarey!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:33 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Thank you everyone! My sweetie suggested that it was rust on the disc as that's what happens to his truck when it's damp out (have I mentioned that it's been raining and I don't have a cover for the scoot?) and the only way to get rid of it is to ride it off.

I suspect this might be what it was as it had disappeared by the following day after careful application of the back brake.

As soon as I can afford it I need a cover and a check-up for the scooter. :)

Thank you! I'm going to ask my mechanic about that 'rounding' thing...

edit:

I feel I should clarify.
Quote:
I can't tell if it's doing much and then all of a sudden it grabs.
This was happening when I was engaging the back brake. It never 'grabbed' on its own.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:44 pm 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Scooter: 2003 Honda Reflex 250cc
2008 FMS Shadow
Bumblebee I & II
Warm up the pads and walk it off. Grab the brake and give it just enough gas to over power the brake. Be careful! This will warm up the pads and wear off the rust if that's the problem while your still and not riding.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Scooter Forums » Technical Advice