Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Scooter Forums » Technical Advice

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: about how much should an oil change cost?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:47 pm 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: a Sky Blue 2007 Vespa LX 150 named Louise
I got my first oil change done the other day and it cost about $80 in all.

I had to order the filter, oil, and transmission fluid from the dealer (who's an hour away so taking it to them for the oil change isn't feasible) and it cost $55 (totally ridiculous)

I took the vespa to a local scooter place and they charged me $24 for the oil change (and that's with me providing all the materials)

I'm getting the feeling that I got completely ripped off, but am I wrong?

p.s. I found a place online where I can get the filter for $10 and I think I can get the oil for about $10 too.

Post subject: Re: about how much should an oil change cost?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:35 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2006 Burgman 650
The $80 sounds about right for a shop. It's the labor of pulling off all the tupperware, waiting for the engine to cool down a bit etc.

You might want to ask if while their waiting do they check bolts, tires etc? The etc check is important for safety reasons.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:42 pm 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Scooter: 2003 Honda Reflex 250cc
2008 FMS Shadow
Bumblebee I & II
Ouch! Sure am glad I do my own! One of the reasons I got the Honda instead of the Vespa was access and price of parts. I really love the Vespa style.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:56 am 
Diva
Diva

I ordered the oil changing tool (this thing with a whatsit on one end to loosen the filter and another whatsit on the other end to loosen the bolt thingy) and I read a bunch of stuff on changing the oil so next time I need to change the oil I'm gonna order the stuff I need and do it myself. should be at least $40 cheaper. now I just need to learn how to change the transmission oil cause that apparently needs changed sometime soon.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:13 am 
Admin Diva
Admin Diva

Scooter: Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125
Let see, $10 for the filter, $10 for the oil, 15 minutes labor.
Yeah, $80 sounds around right. [-( #-o @P@

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:41 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2006 Burgman 650
$80 for JUST an oil change is a little high, but where I bring mine they also check the bolts for tightness, do a tire check and check for any other leaks etc. So basically it's a safety check, I'm not so sure I would know what to look for and riding safe is what it's all about. I've stood in line at the counter and overheard where the service guy wouldn't perform just the work a dude wanted because his tires were so worn and had tire rot. The guy didn't want new tires put on just wanted a new chain. Beleive me the place didn't need this guys money for some new tires they just kept repeating that they couldn't let him ride the bike in the condition the tires were in. They made him an unbelieveable deal on some new tires just so the guy would ride safe.

A friend of mine had a motorcycle for 2 years put 8,000 miles on it, tires looked fine by our eyes. She brought it in and during an oil change was showed where the tires were actually showing tire rot and small cracks formed along the rim. Apparently detergent, Sun, age and elements can breakdown rubber pretty fast. The guy told her she would need new tires sooner than she thought and to keep it in mind.

There is a video where this guy explains how to tell the age of the tire. Looks like 6 years is it no matter how little the mileage on the tire is. Have to watch advertisement first.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:58 pm 
Empress Diva
Empress Diva

Scooter: 2003 Honda Reflex 250cc
2008 FMS Shadow
Bumblebee I & II
$10 for oil? What kind of oil are you using?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:33 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Scooter: 1961 FLi 175 Lambro, 07' BLACK GTS 250 ie, 07'Piaggio BV 500
antsy wrote:
I got my first oil change done the other day and it cost about $80 in all.

I had to order the filter, oil, and transmission fluid from the dealer (who's an hour away so taking it to them for the oil change isn't feasible) and it cost $55 (totally ridiculous)

I took the vespa to a local scooter place and they charged me $24 for the oil change (and that's with me providing all the materials)

I'm getting the feeling that I got completely ripped off, but am I wrong?

p.s. I found a place online where I can get the filter for $10 and I think I can get the oil for about $10 too.

I change my own oils and filters...I believe my oil filter cost between 12 and 20 dollars and the oil is somewhere around $5...but my time and the tools are a different story...

Where I live, a decent mechanic makes at least $20 an hour. If your oil change took over a half hour, which it may have depending on your scooter, then $24 is not unreasonable at all. :?: My question is: If this is a "local scooter shop" why would they not have the oils and filter that you need in the first place? :?:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:18 am 
Diva
Diva

DeejayDebi wrote:
$10 for oil? What kind of oil are you using?

some synthetic stuff. it starts with a C . is that too high or too low an estimate?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:22 am 
Diva
Diva

Catskillnyrider wrote:

My question is: If this is a "local scooter shop" why would they not have the oils and filter that you need in the first place? :?:

oh cause they aren't a Vespa shop. they carry some cheap chinese scooters. I'm not planning on taking Louise back to them again. I think I'll try the Motorcycle dealership for stuff I can't do (everything but the oil change).

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:37 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: Piaggio X9
It really is important what oil you use in your scooter. Don't buy it because it is the cheapest.

Amsoil is not one of the expensive ones but we trust it.

Amsoil makes your scooter run cooler and extends the life of your scoot. The breakdown in the grade is better which means the viscosity does not break down as bad and does not have sludge

Break down of oil change from a local scooter shop
Average labor is $42 for 1/2 hour
$14 filter
$6 to $8 for oil
They check the scoot over and look at the gear oil. The tire pressure is always checked (very important to maintain the life of the tire )

"Make yourself indispensable and you’ll be moved up. Act as if you’re indispensable and you’ll be moved out"

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:29 pm 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: LanceVintage 150cc
How about $160 for the GT250 Super's 1st 600mile service! Yowza!

I called numerous places to find someone else who could and/or would do it. The motorcycle shop where my husband bought his Honda basically said they couldn't get parts for my ride so they would do the oil change if I brought in all the supplies needed- Think they wanted about $60 or so to do it- that's w/ me providing the parts.

Another "local scooter shop" said "Well sure we can do the oil change, it's $30". --I believe I get what I pay for and I certainly don't mind paying good money for good service on a (more than) good scooter.

I'll be very particular about who lifts up her skirt. . . I've decided that I'll be doing it myself every other oil change. This way, I still have a qualified Vespa mechanic eyeballing my baby with regularity but I save some coin, too.

There's some good tutorial stuff at modernvespa.com and a video on YouTube.

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:38 am 
DIT (Diva in Training)
DIT (Diva in Training)

Scooter: 1985 Honda Elite CH250
I got the service manual for my Honda CH250 and it tells u how to strip every part of the bike down to the engine, which comes in really handy for non mechanical peeps like me.

Commenting on the oil change price, for my engine oil all I do is loosen a bolt on the bottom and drain the oil. Then top it back up with a liter. Takes just 10 min.

The final reduction oil change though..that is a pain. I took it into a scooter shop because you have to take half the engine assembly off to get to the drain bolt. I will do it my self next time (just lazy I guess). Good thing is that oil doesn't have to be changed as often.

I guess the cost anyone is charged factors into the make and model.

I pay $49 CAN to have a dealer change the oil/filter in my 2005 Honda Civic, so $80 on a scoot...well that better come with some extras!

Crash

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:27 am 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Scooter: Piaggio BV500 BLUE DRAGON
I have to bring my BV500 in to a shop in Chicago for it's first oil change and warranty check. I was also told before that if I do not do this, the warranty is then void.

This is what they told me!

"The first service is not under warranty. The cost for parts, labor, taxes out the door is just under $280.00. This is the service where all your fluids are changed, the spark plug, the carb is adjusted all the cables, brakes, suspension all instruments, everything gets checked to make sure the scooter is breaking in properly. If there are any recall issues, those would be taken care at that time. It's a pretty lengthy service, it takes us two and half hours to go over everything."

8-[
Can I just say, "ow" my wallet hurts.

Visit my new scooter blog at -
http://saltyscooterstories.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:40 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2009 Scarabeo 500ie----> Silver
My 600 mi "check up" and oil, filter change was 187.00..... before my 15% coupon. I needed recall work done as well, and the scooter IS running better now. The dealer charges 79.00/ hr for labor. I will be doing all my own work from now on.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Scooter Forums » Technical Advice