Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Scooter Forums » General Chat

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Needin' Newbie Advice from all the Pro Divas!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:31 pm 
Div-ette
Div-ette

Hello Scooterin' Divas!! :!:

I'm a newbie needin' some advice on two different subjects so forgive me if this is too long! 8-[

First, I live on the Jersey Shore and I am looking to get a scooter. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time! I took my written test at the DMV and got my permit but I want to know what the next best move is. I haven't bought my scoot yet ( thats part of the next question ) but what I want to know is, should I take private lessons or should I do the Motorcycle Safety course. I have no desire to learn how to ride an actual motorcycle and i've been told that you have to learn how to shift them etc. I just want to learn how to ride a scoot! Is the MS course overkill if I take private scooter lessons? I did ride a scooter many years ago in Newport RI and after I crashed it before i got it out of the parking lot, I did great! LOL! Does that officially count as my first crash?
My second question is I am looking at a Vespa LX150. I have always wanted a Vespa and can not see myself settling for any other 'brand' of scoot at this time simply because the Vespa has been my dream scooter ever since I rode one in Newport RI. That being said, I am 5' tall, and in trying my scoot "on" at the dealer, it is evident, I will need to slide my butt to the side to get my foot on the ground at red lights. Is this a bad problem? I am already looking at boots with a platform to add some height which I've been advised at my height should effectively solve the problem. I am sure I can look at other brands of scooters that might " fit " me a little better but I was wondering if you experienced Diva's think I can still ride my dream Vespa under these condidtions. Looking forward to hearing everyone's valuable opinons!

Scooter Poot

Jersey Shore

Post subject: Re: Needin' Newbie Advice from all the Pro Divas!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:55 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: TOUGH BUNNY pink buddy 125, Honda reflex 250, 1981 Honda CM400a
Why do you want to join this forum?: scoot scoot scoot
Hey Scooter Poot! Welcome to the forum!

Some MSF courses provide scooters for the students who want them - mine did. I drove 90 minutes after work for 3 nights to get to a class that did that. (Boy was that tiring). But I'm glad I did. I learned everything the motorcycle riders did except for shifting.

I don't know what you would learn in private lessons but MSF teaches you not only how to ride but how to ride safe. You learn how to watch for danger, how to get out of it it, etc. I'm not being very eloquent here but I think you probably get what I mean.

I also got a break on my insurance because I'd completed the MSF and also didn't have to take the riding test.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:05 pm 
Queen Diva
Queen Diva

Scooter: 1961 FLi 175 Lambro, 07' BLACK GTS 250 ie, 07'Piaggio BV 500
Take the BRC. You will be a safer and better rider.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am 
Div-ette
Div-ette

Catskill wrote:

Whats the BRC????

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2007 Vespa 250ie
Hello, and congrats on wanting to ride a scooter... I say get the scooter first and get a little seat time. Practice in a big parking lot.. I am also short and ride a yamaha vino 125 touching the ground is no prob. I have been told the most sold vespa is the LX150 and if you can afford the Vespa go for it. The yamaha vino is a wonderful scoot I have been very happy with mine. I am 5ft. tall I have ridden the vespa LX150 it is a nice ride and touching the ground is no problem for me but I do wear Harley boots and they do give and extra inch of heighth.
So when you take the motorcycle safety course you can ride your own. I took the course with other scooters and motorcycles, all womens class and a woman instructor. Hope this helps happy scootering hope you get one soon! :shock:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:53 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 09 Kymco Grand Vista 15000 miles and counting
Scooter Poot wrote:
Catskill wrote:

Whats the BRC????

BRC basic rider course
Learning to become a skilled rider is never over kill be it a 50cc scooter or a 1000cc sports bike.
Oh and ===:)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:51 am 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Scooter Poot wrote:
Hello Scooterin' Divas!! :!:
I haven't bought my scoot yet ( thats part of the next question ) but what I want to know is, should I take private lessons or should I do the Motorcycle Safety course. I have no desire to learn how to ride an actual motorcycle and i've been told that you have to learn how to shift them etc. I just want to learn how to ride a scoot!

Hey Scooter Poot!
I am new to scooting as well...only about a month. I live in NY and actually got my scooter first. I got the feel of it, riding around the neighborhood with my permit for a little while. I then took the MSF beginner course and they let me take it on my scoot, which was great! If you can, it might be good to get your scoot before the course, especially if you have no interest in learning to ride a motorcycle.
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:04 am 
Moderator Diva
Moderator Diva

Hi and welcome!

Definitely check out boots with a thick heel and sole. It really can make a difference. You can also get the seat lowered slightly on the LX. Both of those fixes should give you an inch or so for better footing at stops.

To echo what everyone else has said: take the MSF course. You'll feel much more confident knowing you have that under your belt. And hey... you've already had that first spill so it's onward and upward from here!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: 2010 Ice Bear 300cc Compeller Trike
I agree with what everyone said here. I got my scoot first. I would take the BRC but they don't allow trikes.....hmmph! I mean, I get it is geared for people with 2 wheels...also, I have a Looong Trike! But since you can take the course, DO IT!! Best of luck and welcome!

Marcia
:)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:23 pm 
Div-ette
Div-ette

Shellee wrote:
Hi and welcome!

Definitely check out boots with a thick heel and sole. It really can make a difference. You can also get the seat lowered slightly on the LX. Both of those fixes should give you an inch or so for better footing at stops.

To echo what everyone else has said: take the MSF course. You'll feel much more confident knowing you have that under your belt. And hey... you've already had that first spill so it's onward and upward from here!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow....you Divas are chock full of great info and I'm so glad I decided to be brave and post my questions thus far. My concern with the MSF course is i'm not too sure my local site will allow me to bring my own scoot. I think they told me I have to use their bikes in order to "pass" which I'm sure means, be able to get my license. That being said, I will double check with them to see if I can bring my scoot ( which I don't own yet )LOL! Now here's the other dilema I have. I am a sales rep...that means I drive for a living. I am worried that if I take my scoot out with my permit and don't have another licensed driver with me ( i don't really know any other licensed drivers) then I could get pulled over and ultimately lose my drivers license which would cripple me since I just started my new job! Do I dare take that risk??? Everyone I've spoken to says that nobody will bother me but "What If..."

Also, please, please please tell me how would I be able to lower the seat on a Vespa LX 150 and how much or how far can it be lowered down???? This idea makes me very very happy!

Over n out Divas,
Happy Scooterin'

Scooter Poot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:33 pm 
Diva
Diva

Scooter: 2009 Piaggio Fly 150
Scooter Poot wrote:
I am worried that if I take my scoot out with my permit and don't have another licensed driver with me ( i don't really know any other licensed drivers) then I could get pulled over and ultimately lose my drivers license which would cripple me since I just started my new job! Do I dare take that risk??? Everyone I've spoken to says that nobody will bother me but "What If..."

I live right on the border of NY/NJ and from what I've heard is that, in NJ especially, the cops don't bother scooterists with a permit only. If you were driving a motorcycle with just a permit by yourself they would give you more of a hard time. I'm not sure how true this is it's just what I've heard. If anything, just practice near your house until you get your license.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:10 pm 
Div-ette
Div-ette

Scooter: White Piaggio Fly 150
Hi, good luck with your scooter searching. I'm also in NJ and did not take the MSF course because I didn't want to rely on my shifting skills to pass the test, so I took lessons from a local driving school and passed the road test on a scooter.

Then I went on long rides with some local scooting friends. The best way to learn is to get out there and practice at your own pace. keep i mind that buses, trucks, cars and pedestrians will not give you any extra respect on the road.

I'm also 5'0 and getting the seat lowered was the best thing i ever did. It's an entire different experience when you can comfortably reach the floor, without having to slide of your seat. The seat lowering will cost you extra as it is a custom seat. you can go to a shop like Pirate Upholstery, but they are very busy and expensive. I went to a local motorcycle shop and asked them to do it, about 1/3 of the price. They didn't do a very pretty job under the seat, but I reach the floor and thats all I cared about.

Good Luck!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:58 pm 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: '09 BV 250 Tourer
It doesn't sound like New Jersey is very friendly to letting scooters in on the MSF course. . . I took the class in PA two years ago and the first time I took it on their motorcycles and did not pass. I had my scooter but was unable to trailer it to the class. I took the class a second time and brought my scooter and passed. The class was good for teaching general safety and riding techniques that you can apply to scooter riding. Do you have to pay for the class in New Jersey? If it was free I'd say take it anyway (you'll learn something). I don't know how much it costs for private instruction. . . that might help get you ready to go to the DMV to take the licensing test.

PS-I am selling my LX 150 and the seat has already been lowered by Pirate Upholstery (don't know if you have already bought your scooter). I live in central PA though so it is a distance from the Jersey Shore. The posting is in the "Garage Sale" forum.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:01 pm 
Div-ette
Div-ette

Donna wrote:
It doesn't sound like New Jersey is very friendly to letting scooters in on the MSF course. . . I took the class in PA two years ago and the first time I took it on their motorcycles and did not pass. I had my scooter but was unable to trailer it to the class. I took the class a second time and brought my scooter and passed. The class was good for teaching general safety and riding techniques that you can apply to scooter riding. Do you have to pay for the class in New Jersey? If it was free I'd say take it anyway (you'll learn something). I don't know how much it costs for private instruction. . . that might help get you ready to go to the DMV to take the licensing test.

PS-I am selling my LX 150 and the seat has already been lowered by Pirate Upholstery (don't know if you have already bought your scooter). I live in central PA though so it is a distance from the Jersey Shore. The posting is in the "Garage Sale" forum.

So the Vespa dealer can not LOWER the seat for me? Grrrrr- this would be the perfect solution for me for sure...I need like 2 inches...can anyone recommend good platform boots for me that won't leave me standing on a high heel...I need good support as I broke my ankle a few years back and had to have ligament surgery...that was a load of fun...but boy back then, i wish i'd had a scooter...it was my right foot and i couldn't drive for 4 months!!!
Donna...looked at your scoot and it looks great...but at this point, since i already bought my helmet, it's kind of the wrong color...grrrrr.....i really need a black or a white scoot!!!! I'll keep my ears peeled though...it's a great deal!!!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 am 
Super Diva
Super Diva

Scooter: '09 BV 250 Tourer
Your local Vespa dealer might be able to do it. It depends on the shop. You will want some sort of gel pad inserted though since you'll be lowering it a bit. Otherwise it will be really hard on the butt! Pirate Upholstery lowered both of my seats and they are much more comfortable than the original seats!

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Scooter Forums » General Chat